You have left behind a small bedroom, engulfed by the bulky hospital bed with its folding mattress and steely grey rails.
You have left behind an old red recliner, and I sit in it and remember that the wooden handle no longer works and the deep creak in its rock sounds like the background music to midnight conversations, whispered in the hushed stillness of a sleeping home.
You have left behind a closet full of blue dresses and a red cape, and I never would have known that your favorite color was pink, until you asked for a dress to be buried in and smiled when the rose colored sheath was unfurled from its bag, petals opening in front of a sunset.
You have left a trunk full of love letters and silk scarves and stories I was never old enough to ask you for, so that now I sit and wonder about the woman in the picture, legs propped up on the steps, her skirt sliding up to show off her slender calves.
I have days of work ahead of me, maneuvering the remnants of life from present to memory, and you have left your scent in the sheets, your powder on the bathroom sink, your gold pocket watch on the dresser, and me.
You have left behind me.
This has been a six sentence story. You can find out more about them and this week’s prompt, here.
I suppose He tore another page from The Book today. . .
let is slide between sweaty fingers,
slice the tip,
right there under the nail,
so the pain would ebb and flow,
waves of electricity with each
a heartbeat set to leap into
as the blood dripped like heavy sealing wax.
Gifts unwrapped and
His will is a shiny, sparkling,
It’s fully loaded and
set to go
right through the forehead
with the little blonde curl.
It’s His will,
His gift. . .
but your bullet.
You can join in this prompt at the Creativity Carnival, here.
1. My son woke up at 4 am to be fed and so I’m still tired.
2. There’s laundry piled up high enough to be a safety hazard.
3. Half a pot of coffee isn’t enough.
4. My favorite pen ran out of ink.
5. I don’t have a typewriter like all the “real” writers use.
6. This round of Crossy Road isn’t going to play itself.
7. If I don’t get these pictures downloaded and sorted on Flickr, I’ll lose everything.
8. One. More. Tweet.
9. I’m just browsing Pinterest for recipes.
10. I’m hungry.
11. I think I lost my cat in the laundry room.
12. I’m bored with my room. I should move my furniture.
13. I’m tired.
14. I’ve spent the last five months speaking to a baby for the majority of my day and have forgotten basic grammar.
15. Lemon cupcakes. Someone has to make them. And eat them.
19. I. Just. Don’t. Want. To.